Monday 17 August 2015

Guest Blogger: Big Brother Dave Stell





Written by Dave Stell

Hey, I know what you are thinking. "I don't have time." or "I don't have anything to offer as a 'Big'".
You are only fooling yourself, my friend.

As a Big Brother/Sister, or a mentor, you have the time and believe me, as far as these kids are concerned, you definitely will make a difference in their lives.

I have a crazy schedule most weeks. Two teen kids of my own with activities, my own sports and other volunteer work. So when I signed up years ago, I was concerned about the time. But the mentor program made it easy. One hour a week. I started out just visiting my little brother during my lunch hour. It didn't take much time and my employer supported it 100 per cent. It looks good on the company if the staff volunteer! So what's a little longer lunch once a week to them?

There, that's settled. Now what do you have to offer? Just show up and be a friend. Listen. Play. That's all. And they will love it. Having another adult to care enough about them to show up and care is HUGE.

Big Brothers/Sisters does a great job of matching you up with a 'little' with the same interests. I'm a sports nut, and through many school years now, I've played so much one-on-one dodgeball and floor hockey. And I've enjoyed every minute. It's fun, not work.

Come on. Step up and help out. There's a child out there waiting for your friendship.

I love being a Big Brother mentor.

-Dave Stell 


If you're interested in learning more information about our mentoring programs, please call Cheryl Holmes at 905-985-3733 ext 2.  

No comments:

Post a Comment