Friday 3 July 2015

Guest Blogger: Past Big Sister, Saige Harrison

Written by Saige Harrison

Saige & April

My name is Saige, my wonderful little sister’s name is April and this is our story. I grew up in Port Perry with one older brother, always wanting a sister. April also grew up in the Port Perry area with two older sisters. April’s eldest sister Nicole and I attended Port Perry high school together and I met April a few times when she was really little. 

When April was 7 years old, her middle sister Carrie passed away. In August 2010 when April was 9 years old, Big Brother Big Sister of North Durham (BBBSND) enriched my life by finding my PERFECT little sister match with her. After the first time I met April, I knew it was meant to be, we even look like sisters! I soon started doing In-School Mentoring with April a few times a week on top of hanging out all the time outside of school. We lived 2 minutes down the street from one another and in no time we were pretty much inseparable.  April and I grew an unbreakable sister bond that I am forever grateful to BBBSND for. April’s other sister Nicole and mother Jennifer also became a big part of my life and now they are my family too, blood or not. 

We are no longer a part of the BBBS program as April is now in high school but she is still a huge part of my life. I moved to Alberta for a little while for work, and that did not stop us!! April has been to Alberta 3 times to visit me, we traveled all over the Rocky Mountains together and she even got to see the Tim Horton’s camp her sister Carrie went to out here.

 I will be moving back to Ontario soon and a big part of the reason is because of how much I miss my sister, but no matter where I am in this world April will forever be an important part of my life. She is the most loving, thoughtful and kind sister I could have asked for. And even though she is the “little”, she has taught me so much over the years and has benefited my life as much as I have hers, if not more. 

She has made my life better, happier, brighter and I can’t imagine life without her now. So thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that your organization does and for bringing her into my life. 

BBBSND brought us together but now NOTHING will tear us apart!!


If you're interested in learning more information about our mentoring programs, please call Cheryl Holmes at 905-985-3733 ext 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment